For the month of January, I’ve committed to posting every day, having accepted the 30-day challenge.
This is day 24 of 30.
This post is the fault of my Ironman friend Mary. I blame her entirely for putting the idea of public accountability in my head — there was a Facebook post and she told me she’d be my virtual run buddy and it all arose from that. So direct all of your hate email her way, m’kay? Of course, any accolades, you know, I’m the one that really fleshed out the idea.
So, here’s the gist of it: every Sunday, instead of a funny, entertaining post, you’ll get me recounting the past week, talking about what my goals were, whether I hit them or not, obstacles or successes along the way and then my goals for the upcoming week. Sounds fascinating, I know, but you’ll have to bear with me. Or ignore my posts. Either way, I’m cool.
And another idea: anyone want to join me? I’m keeping a public spreadsheet so that you can track your week-to-week’s online with me, if you like. You can track whatever you’d like, whether it be workouts or nutrition or weight or anything else you want. It’s not a competition, it’s only about public accountability. Let’s all do what we say we’re going to do!
My goals for last week?
- Run 12 miles
- Strength train twice
- Eat mindfully, only 3-4 meals per day and be hungry for 30-60 minutes before eating
And how did I do?
- Ran 11.98 miles. And since I’m not, nor have I ever been, a Type A kind of athlete, this totally counts. Today I needed to run 2.49 miles and the workout of the day was a beautiful run along the Hudson River that was only 2.47 miles. Good enough for me.
- Done — strength trained on Tuesday and Thursday. And I’m sore! I don’t always work as hard as I ought to when I strength train, but I did a good job this week.
- I’ll say I was mindful and did what I planned on doing 6/7 days. Friday wasn’t so good, but a lethal combination tired + headache + hormones did me in. I’m always chasing my hunger when those hit like that. And I did better than I normally would, so I’m counting it as a win.
- Lost 0.6 pounds. I’m not making weight loss a goal — I only have so much control over what the scale says — but I’m tracking it. This week was a normal uptick due to hormones. And actually, this was better than usual — usually I’m looking at a 3-4 pound gain — so I’m pleased. Let me put it this way: if I can run the way I want to weighing what I do now, that’s totally fine with me. It’s just that I know that if I’m doing everything else right, the weight should start going down.
So, who’s with me? Who wants to join me?
Here’s a link to the spreadsheet I have set up at the moment. We can add/subtract/modify things as suggestions come in. I’d love to make this a community effort!